Here is another simple yet fulfilling soup. Lima beans and white navy beans are the only two beans allowed on the GAPS diet.
This one I also adapted from eatingwell.com.
*prep ahead: soak beans at least 4 hours. Will need to cook 1.5-4 hours.
- 1 cup dry white beans, lima or navy
- 1/2 t turmeric
- 1 inch piece ginger, grated
- cooking fat of choice (i.e. ghee, coconut oil)
- 2 t dried oregano
- 1 large onion, finely sliced or chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into coins
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups broth/stock
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- black pepper to grind
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- juice of 1 lemon
- After soaking beans, rinse and drain. With enough water to cover beans, cook with turmeric and ginger. I like to cook beans as long as 4 hours (no, they don’t fall apart or get mushy), but 1.5 hour will do if you’re in a hurry.
- In a large soup pot, heat cooking fat. Add oregano, and then onion, carrots and celery.
- When they start to soften, add broth, beans with cooking liquid, tomatoes, and salt.
- Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. Cook until vegetables are done (can insert knife into piece of carrot but it doesn’t fall apart).
- Pour into serving bowl and top with parsley and little lemon juice.