For me, soup is the best way to consume our daily meat broth/stock, so I’m always looking for new soup recipes. This recipe is adapted from an Italian Peasant Soup recipe I saw from eatingwell.com.
White bean soup with cabbage and cheese
*Prep ahead: Soak beans at least four hours. Will need to cook beans for 1.5-4 hours.
- 1 cup dry white beans, navy or lima
- 1/2 t turmeric powder
- 1 inch piece ginger, grated
- cooking fat
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 head of cabbage, sliced
- 5 cups broth/stock
- black pepper to grind
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Rinse soaked beans. With enough water to cover beans, cook with turmeric powder and ginger, at least 1.5 hours, ideally more.
- In a large pot, heat the cooking fat. Add the bay leaf. When it sizzles, add the onions and cook until they start to turn brown.
- Add the garlic and cabbage and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the broth and beans. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Cook until cabbage is tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Pour soup into bowls and top with cheese and ground black pepper.